Dr. ZAINAB SHINKAFI BAGUDU
Dr. Zainab Shinkafi-Bagudu is a Consultant Paediatrician and an advocate for women’s health with a particular focus on cancer. She is also the First Lady of Kebbi State and continues to use her platform to inspire and motivate young women in the state and beyond.
Dr. Bagudu obtained her MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine) from the prestigious Ahmadu Bello University Zaria then went to specialize in Paediatrics and Neonatology in the United Kingdom. She has a Masters in Paediatrics, a diploma in Tropical Child Health and is a member of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
Upon return to Nigeria in 2002, she set up and headed the Paediatric Department of the new restructured Garki Hospital Abuja.
Three years later, she started up the innovative Medicaid Radio-diagnostics center, in response to a gap she identified in the diagnostic sector in Nigeria. It is the first facility outside government to offer high-tech equipment such as MRI and CT scan. It remains one of the most reliable supporting diagnostic centers for medical practitioners in the country.
During the course of her work, she continually received requests for medical and humanitarian assistance beyond her paediatric sphere. This eventually inspired her to found her own NGO, Medicaid Cancer Foundation (MCF). MCF creates awareness on health matters, trains workers, and funds the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients in Nigeria. Over the last four years, the foundation has raised over 100million naira for the treatment and support of cancer patients.
MCF organizes an annual fundraising walk that is now a permanent and highly anticipated event in the Nigerian cancer space.
It is in the light of this she was appointed a member of the steering committee to evolve a national Nigerian cancer control plan. This was launched in June 2018.
MCF has subsequently been appointed a member of the implementation committee.
The Medicaid Cancer Foundation partners with research institutions such as Usman Dan Fodio University Teaching Hospital Sokoto, Institute of Human Virology Nigeria, and the CONCORD Global Cancer Surveillance Group to host
summits that revolve around improving the quality of data on cancer in Nigeria.
As the First Lady of Kebbi State, Dr. Zainab Bagudu is a visible and active advocate for women, children and youth in Nigeria. Her programs cut across various aspects of development such as health, education and women empowerment.
She has served on many technical committees including the steering committee for the National Cancer Control plan and a Ministerial committee to build world-class diagnostic centers in six geopolitical zones of Nigeria. She is also an active member of the Northern Governors’ Wives Forum.
• MD/CEO, Medicaid Radio Diagnostic Centre
• Founder/CEO, Medicaid Cancer Foundation
• Treasurer, Northern Governors’ Wives Forum
• Board member, Women at Risk International Foundation (WARIF)
• Chairperson, Kebbi State Drug Abuse Program
• Board member, Aleef TV
• Mentor, Cherie Blair Foundation
• Patron CS CUNN
• Initiator, Kebbi Multipurpose Cooperative for women
• Patron, National Council of Women Societies (NCWS) Kebbi state chapter
• Grand Patron, Kebbi State Sickle Cell Association.
• Dr Shinkafi-Bagudu is an Ambassador for the Civil Society for Nutrition,
Women Advocates for Vaccines (WAVA), Fistula Care Nigeria,
Some Achievements/Programs as First Lady of Kebbi State:
• Mothers’ room, Special Care Baby Unit of Federal Medical Centre, Birnin
• Mothers’ breastfeeding room, Federal Secretariat, Birnin Kebbi and Local
Government Headquarters, Jega
• Chairperson steering committee Kebbi State cancer control plan
• Establishment of a State Cancer Registry
• State Champion Biannual Maternal and Child Health Week
• Routine Vaccination Campaigns
• Unplugged training program on drug abuse by UNODC for 200 teachers
• Launching and organizing Health Clubs in secondary schools state-wide,
with concentration on creating cancer and Sickle cell awareness amongst
• Community rehabilitation of mentally challenged persons in Jega
• Menstrual health awareness: in collaboration with Procter and Gamble
“Always keeping girls in school” program.
• In collaboration with Kebbi State Government and Moses Lake
organization from the United States, organize ongoing medical camps and
outreaches at Kalgo Medical Centre, where free consultations, surgeries,
and medications are given to the under served communities. The medical
outreaches have taken place twice a year since 2015.
• Awareness and advocacy campaigns on Cervical and Breast cancers with
free screening and treatment for established cases.
• Commissioned Female Rehabilitation Center in Kebbi state NDLEA
Command Office, the first of its kind in the country
• Facilitated the implementation of the revised CONMESS and the lifting of
restriction on progression to CONMESS 7 for doctors under State
• High-level advocacy with Global Alliance for Vaccines Initiative, GAVI, to
step up cervical cancer vaccination for Nigerian girls from
• Engagement with Global Fund in Geneva on TB, Malaria and AIDS
• Project CURE on medical camps and equipment transfer for Nigeria.
• Also under the auspices of the Future Assured Initiative of the Wife of the
President, she attended a two-week training course in Taiwan to study their
• Organizing free medical outreach on VVF repairs for patients with
Obstetric fistula in Kebbi State.
• Creator/Mentor: Voices for Girl Child Education: A movement for young
girls across 21 local government areas in Kebbi state to encourage
enrolment of girls in schools.
• Orphans and Huffaz Foundation: Sponsoring/Mentoring orphans in
formal Islamic Education
• Sponsoring young girls to Kebbi State school of Nursing. (Total of 40 so far)
• Initiator of the Kebbi Multipurpose Cooperative, a unique scheme which
received a N100 million grant to help create financial security for women.
• Kebbi Women Empowerment Program: 66,000 women enrolled and
organized into cooperatives, creating value chains for local products such as
Shea butter, rice and livestock.
• Establishment of rice mills for 5 women cooperative groups in 5 LGAs
• Distribution of Maternal Birth Kits to over 5000 women across the state
• Organizing Annual Ramadan Lectures 2015- date
• Regular distribution of vocational equipment, medical supplies, clothing
and food items to women groups, orphanages, VVF Centre, State schools,
Leprosy Centre, IDP Camps and various hospitals across the state
• Sponsored the training of 100 Community Volunteer Drug Counselors to
assist persons with drugs dependence issues
Conferences and engagements:
• High-level advocacy with Global Alliance for Vaccines Initiative (GAVI) to
step up cervical cancer vaccination for Nigerian girls
• Global Fund on Tuberculosis, Malaria and AIDS advocacy strategy in
• Project CURE on medical camps and equipment transfer for Nigeria.
• Two-week training course in Taiwan to study their healthcare system,
under the auspices of the Future Assured initiative of the Wife of the
• African Union (AU) Summit, Ethiopia
• Princess Nikky Cancer Summit in Washington DC
Awards and recognitions:
• Distinguished Service Merit Award by Nigerian Medical Association.
• Silverbird Man of the Year award for Special Achievements (2016).
• Gold Winner Award for most Valuable Governor’s Wife by MVGWA
• Contribution Award to the improvement of Cancer Care in Nigeria by
• Certificate of Congressional Recognition by United States Congress (2015).
• Merit award for outstanding contribution to development of Healthcare
Delivery System in Kebbi State by Nigerian Medical Association (Kebbi
• Exemplary contribution to health in Abuja by Guild of Medical Directors
• Contribution to women empowerment and children’s welfare by the
National Council for Women Societies (NCWS).
• WIMBIZ Female Achiever Award 2017
Her Excellency is a gifted orator and is increasingly popular amongst younger
audiences. She has been a guest speaker/panelist at occasions such as,
• The Inspiring Women Series
• She Leads Africa
• One organization Nigeria
• Daily Trust women’s summit
She writes on medical and topical issues and contributes to online and
conventional media regularly. Some of her articles include:
• Early Marriage
• Renal Disease, an Overview of Diagnosis and treatment Options in Nigeria:
A tribute to Hindatu Haruna Rasheed.
• Saving Mayowa, My take as a Physician and Cancer Advocate.
• Tales from Taiwan
• A tribute to Decision Makers